Friday, May 7, 2010

Thanks Moms!

I have one week left until I return home from my five-month "working holiday" in Australia.  My husband, bub (Aussie lingo for baby) and I have been living a beautiful city in the Southern part of the country.  One of the biggest adjustments for me during my time here has been getting used to city living.   Don't get me wrong, I love the trendy cafes, unique boutiques, being able to walk everywhere and the constant hustle and bustle around me.  In fact, it took me several weeks to put my finger on what was missing:  families.

It make sense;  you get married, have a baby and decide to move to the burbs for your house with a white picket fence.  We have all heard this story before.  I just never realized how much encouragement I was receiving at home, from the families, specifically the mothers around me.  I am a beginner when it comes to motherhood, and after a long morning of running errands with a cranky baby, I often make eye contact with another young mom at the check-out, and we smile at each other sympathetically.  It reminds me that I was not alone in this.

While the city is full of young women, many of them probably around my age, it is more difficult to make this connection.  I see them shopping, napping in the park, studying at the cafes, socializing in the bars.  We often exchange smiles, but it is obvious that we do not relate to each other.  All of this has caused me to reflect on the importance of having mommy friends to relate to.  For the past few months, I have been finding my daily encouragement through emails with friends, on facebook, or blogs like this one.  Knowing that Applejacs and her daughter are dealing with similar baby sleep issues gives me an opportunity to offer up my challenges and encourages me that I will eventually get through them.  I feel so grateful for these relationships!


Since Mother's Day is this weekend, I want to say Thank You to all mothers, grandmothers, godmothers, aunties and friends who support novices like me.  Your example gives us hope and inspiration.  Your prayers give us strength and encouragement.  Of course, I have to thank our ultimate model, the Mother of all humanity, the Mother of God.  Mary, you spent most of your life ordinary like us, by feeding your family, nursing your child's wounds, singing lullabies, playing games and caring for your home.  You teach us kindness, humility, service, grace and you give us your love.  Blessed Mother Teresa taught a beautiful and simple prayer:  "Mary, Mother of Jesus, be a Mother to me now".  Please continue to guide us on our journey of motherhood!

Happy Mother's Day to all!

5 comments:

Apple Jacs said...

I relate to your posts so much too, Chantal! I frequently think of you when we have tough nights, though I must say, Mina's finally sleeping through the night! It's such a huge blessing though to have fellow moms to talk to and I'm so glad you'll be back home!

Thank you for the prayer from Mother Theresa. That's a good one for me to repeat in my moments when I'm feeling weak.

June said...

It sounds funny to say, but this picture of us looks old! Hard to believe there will be 8 babies in the picture soon, God is so good to us!

Chantal said...

The picture isn't even a year old... How funny that the number of babies have almost doubled since then. :)

rosanna.noelle said...

I really liked your last paragraph :).

May God bless you & all of your fellow young mothers abundantly! <3 <3

Andi said...

wow so Gigi is as big as Dominic in this picture...crazy how it's only been 1 year.